Monday, July 14, 2008

summer in the city

I spent a hedonistic weekend in the city, doing whatever the hell I wanted to. The only premeditated endeavor, was a full day of shopping in Soho with my girlfriend who just moved up from DC. McKinnon and I started the day at 10AM. I grabbed a banana and an iced coffee and we met at the only reasonable starting point we could determine, Saks Fifth.

This recession has done wonders for my wardrobe! Aside from travel, retail is one of the first to go, when your economy is saying "bye-bye" to a bank every Monday morning. What does this mean for those of us who pretend we aren't affected by the downturn?

SALES! Every Soho boutique was decorated with 50's and 70's and percentage signs galore. Even Burberry was selling their classic quilted coats for nearly half off. It just got really cold in here all of a sudden...

Sunday was even more self-serving, as I spent the morning with "Breakfast at Tiffany's", the afternoon with the sun, and the evening with Border's bookstore. (my not-so-secret retreat) As I was leaving Grand Central, I saw a wide-brimmed hat that reminded me of my Audrey morning. And I really just couldn't help myself.

Photobucket

No comments: