Wednesday, March 5, 2008

do you like what you do?

Photobucket

Probably not. I'm not going to lie, I've become calloused and cynical in the last six months towards the advertising industry in general. This may be hard to believe, but I CHOSE to be in this industry! I was an Advertising major/Business minor and not some cop out Communications failure who fell into the Ad pit. Looking back, I can't completely beat myself up over this, since there are more ridiculous things I could have done - like getting a pointless masters in "Advertising", but damn - I am starting to feel like a HACK.

When I was growing up, I took art lessons, piano lessons, horseback riding lessons and stole my parent's old-school video camera to film/direct countless movies and commercials of my sisters and friends. I wanted to be in Advertising because it combined two of my favorite things: shopping and creativity. Naturally, the creative side of this industry is competitive, and honestly, I would have probably felt like an even bigger hack, had I gone this route. There's my consolation.

Having your ass kissed gets old. And now I'm finding that all I want to do is write, paint, create, destroy, photograph, sing, film, act, scream, dance, laugh, and lie in the clouds and drink Bellini's all day. Yeah... I think that's what I'll do.

No comments: