Wednesday, April 23, 2008

the truth about cats

Apartment searching in NYC is a ****ing joke. Pardon my Southern.

I found my current residence through Craigslist and it is working out just fine for the time being. I have a scenic view, a cool breeze off the East River, a gym I don't go to, and a doorman who flirts with me when I leave all gussied up on Saturday nights.

But I've been searching for greener pastures as of late.

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost." -- J.R.R. Tolkein

I'm a restless soul - what can I say? So I've been scouring the Craiglist world again, crossing my fingers to find rent of no more than $1000. I'm sorry, but I refuse to pay more than a grand a month. I'd have to start wearing plastic bags to parties and claim a fashion statement.

Photobucket

Ivy Walker, ladies and Gentleman. (a best friend and long story)

SO - first you have to weed out the ads that offer you free rent in exchange for "occasional requests to walk around the apartment naked" (true story). Then you must assure that you're not going ABOVE the 100's (east OR west side - trust me). In addition, you'll find that every freak in NY has a cat.

Now I DESPISE cats. They are shady, moody creatures that rub against your legs and scratch your eyeballs out in the same sitting. Much like myself. And I distrust ANYONE like myself.

Yesterday, I went uptown to check out a place that didn't sound half bad. It was on the West side and I broke my 100's rule by 6 blocks. (I thought I'd let it slide) Arriving above ground, my first impression was "OK, we're right next to CP. Not half bad." Next thing I know, all I'm hearing is the sound of sirens and ice cream trucks.

I immediately made a call, requesting help. It went something like this:

"I'm scared. There are a lot of sketchy people walking around."
"OK, my game just ended. I'll come pick you up. Where are you?"
"Oh GOD PLEASE HURRY - 106th and ... Columbus? Manhattan Ave? BY THE PARK!"
"OK, walk up to 110th and I'll meet you there. I am getting a cab."
"Walk UP? Are you KIDDING ME? Are you IN a cab, or are you GETTING a cab? PLEASE SAVE ME! *pause* I just had to walk through a gang."

Ten minutes later - prince charming swept me away in a shiny, silver towncar. Aw - I just realized my sense of urgency led him to jump in the first car he found, as opposed to waiting for a yellow cab.

We dropped off at Columbia University and ate Falafel and veggie soup on the campus quad.

And last night I slept peacefully in my over-priced high rise...16 floors above any would-be perpetrators.

No comments: