Wednesday, April 30, 2008

what i love about The South

...and I capitalize because I'm feeling extra Southern today.

I walk into Macy's (across the street from my office) during my lunch break today because they're having a super duper sale and I needed a new pair of summer Sperry's. (That's right. I wasn't kidding in my previous post *see below*. I'm ridiculously excited about my upcoming boating adventure.)

So, I'm perusing through the Sperry display on the ginormous fifth floor, when I catch from the corner of my eye, a sprightly middle-aged woman and her sprouting daughter (complete with braces). They are, in fact, smiling at me. Not in my general direction. Directly at me. It clicks and I know a conversation will ensue.

"Here they are, daaaarling!" (the woman says to her daughter)
Smiling/stare begins.
"Where areeee you from?" (she says to me)
"South Carolina." (I look down at the tan Sperry's I've just tried on, and look across at the matching pair on her daughter's feet)
"No kidding! Do you live here? We are from Lexington!"
"Well I went to school at USC! I do live here now, and work across the street!"
"Well that's just wonderful! We're just visiting!" (genuine smile)

At this point, I'm brushed towards the counter by the sales clerk, who gives me my sweet discount, and shoes. I thank her and as I'm walking away, I just can't help myself.

"Enjoy your stay!" (I say)
"Enjoy your shoes!" (She says)

...Enjoy your shoes...

God I love The South.

No comments: