Saturday, February 2, 2008

goodbye stranger

I was trekking the frigid five minutes to the subway the other morning, bouncing to the beat of my iPod - just minding my own. I was behind a tall man with dark hair. Before I realized it, I was following him. Now this isn't terribly strange, since there are about 6 high-rises on the water, near my building - and between the hours of 7 and 10, it's like a mass exodus to the train. Everyone is following someone.

There are three or four different paths you can take to get to the health-coffin that is the NYC subway, and something I've noticed in my commute is that people actually follow each other. It's like a pack of dogs. Manhattan is a little different. There are stoplights and walk/don't walk signs and you are sort of funneled down a predetermined path. But where there is no organization, the people try to create their own.

I saw the same handsome man the following morning. Now this really is chance. You almost never see the same person here twice. He dresses nicely. I fantasize about what he does for a living - maybe in publishing, or an architect. I had to follow him. His step was quick and stride was long - luckily so is mine. When we got to the train, I watched as he swiped his Metro card and was subsequently denied. The train was coming and there was no delaying - this would be our departure. I swipe my monthly unlimited card. Denied. I only have to replace this card once a month, strange. There are two new-card dispensing machines in the station. As I stood at the one next to him, I wondered if he recognized me or had seen me, or thought this was really coincidental and/or if I was a crazy person. I lost him in the crowded car and saw him re-emerge when we stepped onto 42nd St - Times Square. Up the escalator - he's quick - but I still have my eye on him. Up up up, and he takes the stairs to the 1,2,3 downtown. For the rest of my walk to work, I can't help but wonder where he's going. I also wonder if anyone is watching me.

No comments: