Wednesday, February 27, 2008

dropping the glass slipper

Columbia, SC has an unofficial quip, or slogan if you will. "Keep it classy, Columbia". Growing up in South Carolina, as in almost any place, you find many facets of class and wealth. The impoverished trailer park (or "project", if you live above the Mason-Dixon) is a far cry from the cobblestone streets of Rainbow Row and Park Avenue pent houses. In addition to this fiscal separation, lies an almost greater expanse between social classes. For an ignorantly blissful moment of my life, I toyed with the idea of social class being something I read about in Charles Dickens' novels. For years, the highly romanticized theme of the "poor boy falling in love with the rich girl" has taken a multitude of authors and directors to the bank. I hate to burst your bubble, but social stratification still exists. And it goes beyond the constraints of "upper", "middle" and "lower"! Now before you start to think I'm a Marxist, let me elaborate.

When it comes to relationships, "Meeting the parents" is as much of an initiation as a white-gloved girl at a Debutante Ball. Don't go dropping the glass slipper, Prince Charming - but she's judging you. It's all a test. Makes me think that India has the right idea with arranged marriage. It saves a hell of a lot of time and effort. Trust me, your parents know best! They know EXACTLY what social strata you fall into the moment you're born. They know the amount of involvement you need/deserve in political, social, and educational environments. And YES, this extends to sex, love and marriage.

Don't stray too far from what you are told you need. It quickly becomes survival of the fittest.

My advice to you? Don't be blind to your own intuition. The shallow people of this world find it a nearly impossible feat to hide. You may find that someone you care about isn't the person you thought they were. Gasp! This is not abnormal. We are all enrolled in Bullshit 101 from the time we are taken from the hospital, midwife, clinic. Embrace your predetermined class and attain your BS. If you succeed, you might move up a bracket or two. Do this on your own, and not with the help of a puddle looking for a trophy. I would rather be my money than new money, new money than old money, and none of the above if it adversely affects my happiness. God forbid you find yourself with a person whose class (or personal views on class) do not match your own.

Should that situation arise.. my real advice is to immediately swipe your Metro Card back home.

1 comment: