Thursday, February 21, 2008

burning cold

It was so cold this morning that my nose didn't even have time to feel the chill - it just froze numb immediately. It crept down to my top lip and became one with my nose. I purposely walked to work in the sunny spots of the street. It didn't seem to help at first and I wondered who was stealing the warmth from the ground. By the time I reached the small park, I had worked myself up to a reasonable body temperature and my forehead was actually hot. It reminded me of the summer days we spent at Edisto beach, weary from drinking the night before. Trudging the short distance from our beach front house to the sand. The sand that was too hot to touch with our bare feet. We talked about prom and school and told jokes that were funny to us at the time. Those were the things that were important to us. I miss the time when the most we had to worry about was whether or not our parents would let us stay an extra day.

No comments: