Thursday, June 26, 2008

frankly, my dear, i don't give a damn.

In continuum of my Favorite Characters, I present the bewitching Vivian Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara.

Photobucket

Gone with the Wind is naturally in Hayley's Top 5, for obvious reasons. As a daughter of the Confederacy, Scarlet embodies the intense bravado of today's woman with the frailty (and enviable ability to faint on command) of women from her time.

Photobucket

She's one of the most vibrant heroines in movie history. A gun-swinging, baby-delivering, goddess of hoop skirts, who could make a couture gown from velvet drapes. She didn't take shit from anyone and Rhett Butler adored her because of it. (Clark Gable! Come on people! What a stud...) I'll admit, I prefer her nonchalant, pre-war character and life (before times got tough and Ashley got married). But...

Photobucket

Who doesn't want to sit around, sipping sweet tea, being courted by a bunch of Southern boys from Charleston?

1 comment:

Karen said...

Best line in a movie by Butterfly McQueen in Gone With the Wind ~
"I don't know nothing bout birthin no babies Miss Scarlett! I don't know WHAT made me tell such a lie!!!