Monday, June 9, 2008

her slice of culture pie

Earlier this Spring, 68-year-old, famed photographer, Mary Ellen Mark set out for high schools across this great nation with an awkward 600 lb Polaroid camera. I'm completely enchanted by her discoveries. (is this copyright infringement?)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I found these ringing words insightfully true:

"The photographs make us realize how much the prom is a rehearsal for a wedding," she wrote. "The future bride is practicing for a role that, despite all the apparent changes in our views of women and marriage, has remained remarkably unaltered -- a role that is weirdly and totally retro." (novelist Francine Prose, on the cultural meaning of Mark's photos)

The project will eventually be presented as a book and exhibition. I hope we get a taste in New York.

In addition, I feel so inclined as to post one of my own prom memories. Oh hair no. Bowman Academy 2002

Photobucket

No comments: