Friday, January 11, 2008

me first and the gimmie gimmes

Who makes it in this world? You'd think it was the ambitious ones. Is it the ones who take the stairs two-at-a-time, or those freaks who stick to the left side of the moving escalator and walk up it? ...making all us normal people feel like a bunch of lazy tourists. I mean is it necessary for the escalator to have two lanes? Let's be real here.

What about the people who get up from their seat on the subway (while it's moving of course) and make their way to the closed doors (we're still moving folks)... What's their deal? There they are - nose virtually pressed against those greasy doors (that look like they might fall off any day now), ready to jump out of the gates like they're escaping hell's fire and fury. I can see the bubble beside their head, "Come on, come on. The friggin' train is stopped. I'm standing right here. No one - *side glance to the left* oh no yah don't gramps - get back - I said NO one is getting out of this subway before me." Open the door. BAM they're off.

They're the same ones who walk up the escalator.

Now you might be wondering if I've ever done this. I sure seem to know a lot about it. Meh, well maybe one day you'll see me in the subway. Make your own observations.

I'm wondering about these people though. Does this little extra "oomph" in their everyday commute transfer to their everyday lives...relationships...jobs? Maybe that's how you tell the ambitious ones from the "meh, this subway isn't so bad - I don't mind riding it foreeeeeeeeeever" ones. Maybe those are the people who will be signing your paycheck one day and riding to work in a shiny, black towncar.

Or maybe those people just really have to pee.

No comments: